(Before a certain Southern Belle corrects me, I know the actual line from Casablanca is “Play it, Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By.”)
It’s Top 10 Tuesday! And I’m looking forward to hearing what you would like played again…and again…and again….and again. Off the top of your head–seriously, you don’t have to put a ton of thought into this, and if you’re anything like me, your list will change from time to time–but for right now, in this moment, off the top of your head….Name 10 albums that you can listen to repeatedly and never grow tired of. For those of you who are confused by this, an album is what you actually call the collection of songs put together by a recording artist; you break it apart and download it track by track, but we used to go out and buy the actual LP on vinyl, or cassette, or compact disc.
Also, when I say listen to it…I mean really listen to it. No skipping tracks. You have to play it start to finish without fast forwarding or skipping. And for the sake of list making, you may NOT submit any soundtracks, greatest hits, anthologies, compilations, tributes, or holiday collections. Just 10 albums that, if you had the means to listen to on say…a deserted island or perhaps a zombie apocalypse…and you would never grow tired of listening to them. (Keep in mind, the no greatest hits rule makes it tougher for me, because I am a big proponent of the GH for the sake of saving room on my mp3 player). Here we go, off the top of my head and in no particular order:
- Rush: Hold Your Fire–I love all of their albums, but for one reason or another, this one in particular resonates with me. I can and would listen to it forever.
- Pearl Jam: Ten–By far, the best thing they ever did. This album still affects me to this day.
- Fleetwood Mac: Rumours–I dare you not to sing along.
- Beastie Boys: License to Ill–The Boys have evolved so much since my adolescence, but this album will always stand out as the one that made me fall in love with them. It’s just too much fun.
- The Police: Synchronicity–I’ll probably get grief for choosing what is easily their most commercial venture, but track for track it is an incredible album.
- Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell–Say what you will…but I will sing the shite out of this start to finish.
- Dixie Chicks: Fly–Surprised? Me, too. But again, I could sing these tracks all day.
- The Beatles: Revolver–This is one of those times where compilations and greatest hits have handicapped me. I love everything Beatles and choosing just one is hard. So for now, I’ll go with Revolver. Next time you ask, it could be something else…
- Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon–I mean, c’mon.
- Carol King: Tapestry–Again, I dare you not to sing along.
This was very difficult. Having to avoid soundtracks (Purple Rain, Saturday Night Fever, Wicked, Hairspray…) and debating whether or not to stick with classic rock or hard rock or pop (Guns n’ Roses Appetite for Destruction, Metallica Master of Puppets, both contenders, Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Michael Jackson Thriller, Bon Jovi New Jersey…) and greatest hits (Hall & Oates Rock & Soul Pt I, Huey Lewis & the News, the Monkees, Journey, Everly Brothers…). I’m really inept at narrowing things down. Not to worry, Z-Team…I am quick on my feet when it comes to life and death decisions. But asking me to narrow down music, movies, TV shows, foods, etc., to a top 10 list? Yikes.
Ok, let’s have it. What are the 10 albums that YOU can listen to start to finish and never grow tired of?